Blockchain for Climate Change and Sustainability
A Proof-of-Concept(PoC) & Public Use Case i2 Initiative
The purpose of ‘Blockchain4CCaS’ initiative is to track and help put the spotlight on the emerging blockchain trends, applications, challenges, benefits with respect to ‘Climate Change and Sustainability ‘ , spur wide stakeholder dialogue and uptake by various groups in policy, business, citizen and academia as also to catalyze ‘responsible innovation ‘ through a first-of-its kind ‘ Proof-of-Concept(PoC) & Public Use Case ‘ model
Welcome to our new leading tech edge initiative that endeavors to track and present some of the exciting trends that are shaping the public and social good application of the blockchain technology that is making a broad range of stakeholders sit up, take notice and concerted action around the globe! The technology, thus far, has garnered much attention in the BFSI, IT sectors but slowly and steadily gaining traction across other sectors as well, as in education, international development, manufacturing, health care to name a few. Climate change and sustainability space has witnessed, of late, much interest and evidence suggests that a broad spectrum of players in the space are becoming active to create a steady pipeline of innovation success stories across themes in SDGs, sustainability, climate change, disaster risk reduction.
The ‘Climate Chain Coalition’ formation, the ‘Climate Ledger Initiative’, ‘Blockchain Research Institute’ efforts towards characterizing the market potential of the technology across stakeholder groups, the launch of Climatecoin , the DAO IPCI (integral platform for climate initiatives ) and UNDP’s ‘The Future is Decentralized’ white paper are some examples that support.
The purpose of ‘Blockchain4CCaS’ initiative is to track and help put the spotlight on the emerging blockchain trends, applications, challenges, benefits with respect to ‘Climate Change and Sustainability ‘ , spur wide stakeholder dialogue and uptake by various groups in policy, business, citizen and academia as also to catalyze ‘responsible innovation ‘ through a first-of-its kind ‘ Proof-of-Concept(PoC) & Public Use Case ‘ model.
In the first pass of this initiative, broad funneling criteria across four dimensions were applied – emerging themes, theme evidence and trends direction, potential to unpack the thematic problem spaces and transformative elements of the blockchain technology pieces. Using that funnel criteria, six themes were identified (gender, disaster risk and recovery, sustainable education and lifestyle, sustainable development goals, sustainability and climate assessment) and eleven use case outlines drawn up across identity, multi factor authentication,smart workflows, global-local model of decentralized applications, data provenance and sustainability credentials marketplace areas. SDGenpowerCoin for the gender theme – working paper resulted in the very early phase of the run.
Following an extensive idea & outline validation phase,the following high potential proof-of-concept covering SDGs(Hybrid Enterprise – Blockchain Solutions) and Sustainable Production/Consumption (Tokenomics) have been released. We hope the releases (UT-Unlock and SDGH#Power ) draw your attention to the transformative impact potential of this technology for the respective themes.
UT-Unlock : A ‘Non Fungible Token Interconversion Mechanism’ that seeks to unlock significant global responsible consumption (SDG Goal 12) value and fuel inclusive token based service markets. Proof-of-Concept modeled on ‘Waves Platform’.
SDGH#Power : A ‘Hybrid Enterprise – Blockchain Technology Model’ that seeks to frame ‘identities-access-opportunities’ triad targeting 2,3,7,11 SDGs and catalyze token service markets for value players in emerging economies. Proof-of-Concept modeled on ‘Perlin Platform’.
Public Use Cases : Two sustainability oriented use cases presented promise. 1 ) Targeting Sustainability Standards and Protocols Harmonization with AI-Blockchain and 2 ) Targeting Corporate Sustainability Reporting – Transparency and Accountability with Blockchain Hybrid Decentralized Workflow transformative elements.
We hope with our modest efforts, key players in this space shall follow suit and contribute their might to this exciting innovation intersection of technology and global public good cause.
Join in and explore!
The PoC is modeled under the key assumptions that enterprises are conversant with and open and keen to
Underlying Theory of Token Value Increase
Our first cut findings on the PoC run indicate that there exists strong potential and need for
Token Interconversion Flow
7 Accounts - 7 Transfers - 3 Custom Tokens
SDG Goal 12 Addressed
Waves platform Testnet, Lite Client, Waves IDE and Waves Testnet Full Node API Based
L0 Process Flow & Solution Configuration Pattern
2FA - Stateless Flow Model
SDG#Hash - Stateful Flow Model
Public Use Case Theme
Problem : Sustainability Standards and Protocols Disharmony
- 200+ Standards and Initiatives Exist Globally
- Standards Shape, size, context of application, verticals quite diverse
- ISO standardization efforts on to mitigate the problem
- Businesses Adoption Gap Remains
- Recent Trends point to ISEAL Alliance’s efforts to bring harmonization to the diverse standards efforts
- The UNCTAD efforts in mapping the sustainability global standards is an effort in the direction of spurring global trade and build strong catalytic direct and indirect effects across 3 dimensions – ‘Trade – Sustainable Development – Standards’
Solution : Blockchain-AI Harmonized Token K-Graph
- Helps Close the Enterprise Adoption Gap
- Aligns with ‘Leave No One Behind’ Principle of UN Sustainable Development
- Leverages the Power of AI and Blockchain to bring about Impact across SDGs 6,7,8,11,12,13
- Helps Unlock Protocol and Standards Market through Trade – Sustainable Development – Standards Intersection Direct and Indirect Effects (aka catalytic effects! )
Solution : Orchestration
Solution : Implementation Outline – Classify Tokens, Determine Token Supply,Generate Token K-Graph
Problem : Sustainability Reports – Transparency & Accountability
- “Corporate reporting is meant to demonstrate a company’s performance and to explain the processes and activities in place to address material issues and create value over time” – Peter Bakker
- The 2018 edition of the Reporting Matters demonstrates that companies are embracing reporting to show their value to stakeholders
- What’s driving the Reporting Matters ?
- Transparency Concern
- Accountability Concern for Corporate Contributions to SDGs
- Future of Reporting is DIGITAL
Solution : Hybrid Blockchain Decentralized Workflow
- Bring more enterprises into the Corporate Sustainability Reporting adoption ring
- Transparent, Immutable Workflows Improve Stakeholder Trust
- Reporting going DIGITAL – helps ride that wave
Solution : Orchestration – Hybrid Blockchain Decentralized Workflow
Public Use Case Key Learnings